Shelby was in our ward in Bellefonte. She was my visiting teacher most of the time we lived there. She came every month without fail with her companion Kitty, who was less active and didn't come to church much but always did her VT. Shelby will probably never know what an impact she had on me. She was over half my age but I could talk to her for hours about anything! When she would come to visit time went by so quick and I wouldn't want her to leave. {not how I usually feel about VT} She lived out in the country surrounded by Amish farms. She is a convert to the church and has the most firm testimony of anyone I know. Well, one day she was complaining about her yard and how there was so much work to be done. So the kids and I spent an entire day out at Shelby's. We raked, mulched, pulled weeds and cleaned up her yard. She took the kids on go cart rides and we roasted hot dogs for lunch around a fire she had made. She made them cookies too! We had the best time with her. I went with Shelby a couple times to the Amish school near her house just for fun. On one of the last days we had in Bellefonte, I spent it with Shelby. I took cookies to the Amish school to say goodbye and Shelby and I went out for lunch with Deanna Baumgardner. {Henley and Hallie's teacher at church] When they took me back to my car I forgot to get my stuff out of the back of her car. So as I was driving off I followed Shelby to her house. She pulled over at the top of her lane and asked if I was ok. I told her I had left my stuff in the back of her car. We both had tears in our eyes and she said "they say, thats a sign that someone really doesn't want to go". Then I started crying and shut the door. I will always have a special place in my heart for Shelby. When I was with her it was like being with family. She just has that way about her.
The Reed boys helped too. Justice, Brad, and Ashton.
No comments:
Post a Comment